CXF 3.0.0 Milestone1 has been released this week. We have all worked very hard on getting this new major release out.
Here is what is new:
- CXF has become more modular. For example, CXF JAX-RS frontend in CXF 2.7.x or earlier has WSDL4J library dependency. Removing it completely proved very hard earlier, but Dan got involved and now the JAX-RS frontend has a minimum number of strong dependencies.
- JAX-RS 2.0 has been completely implemented. Users are encouraged to work with the 3.0.0 Milestone1, the JAX-RS 2.0 work has been completed for several months and only minor issues are expected to be found in Milestone1 - lets find and fix them all before 3.0.0 Final !
- Major WS-Security refactoring has been done, with Colm doing a lot of work in CXF. It is mainly about the streaming features of WSS4J 2.0 supported at the CXF level, and it is going to be a massive feature for CXF WS users. CXF WS Security code will fly.
- Bean Validation 1.1 API has been wired in thanks to Andriy Redko. This is what is great about Open Source: I was not planning to do this work for 3.0.0 Milestone 1, but then Andriy offered his expert help and now all of CXF frontends, JAX-RS and JAX-WS ones can get the Bean Validation activated.
- LocalTransport has been optimized to become much more suitable as a mechanism for the integrated testing - this approach is superior to using mocks.
- Many other fixes, optimizations and improvements. Example, users can get their client-side auto-redirection done in a much more secure fashion. Freeman has added an optional Swagger feature for documenting REST endpoints. Netty transport has been added by Willem. The exceptions escaped from the native CXF interceptors can also be mapped to registered JAX-RS exception mappers which gets JAX-RS applications better integrated with the core CXF features. I just have to stop typing, so many things I'd like to mention here...
CXF 3.0.0 Milestone 1 is out and it is one more step toward asserting Apache CXF as the leading framework for the development of WS and RS applications.
Get On Board and Enjoy !